How to Convert PNG to JPEG on a Mac
You don’t need to install third-party apps or rely on online tools to convert the PNG files on your Mac to JPEGs.
There are many different file formats for image files. The most common include JPEG and PNG, but other file formats, such as GIF, BMP, TIFF, and HEIC, also exist. Various apps let you convert images from one file format to the other, but you can also do this directly from macOS without installing any additional software.
Here, we’ll cover how to convert PNG to JPG files on your Mac using two different built-in solutions in macOS.
How Do PNG Files Differ From JPEG Files?
Despite their similarities and widespread use, there are many differences between PNG and JPEG files. Because of how JPEG files are compressed, they contain less data than PNGs. This results in JPEG files usually being smaller as well.
PNGs also support transparent backgrounds, making them preferred for graphic design and text images. This is one of the reasons why most operating systems store screenshots in PNG file format.
Convert PNG to JPEG Using Preview
Converting a PNG file to a JPEG file is very easy using the built-in Preview app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the PNG image in Preview.
- Now, go to File > Export from the menu bar.
- Next, select JPEG as your file format, and set your required quality using the slider.
- Enter a name and specify a location for your output file, and press Export.
This will convert your PNG file to a JPEG file, ready to use!
Convert PNG to JPEG Using Quick Actions
You can also convert PNGs to JPEGs using Quick Actions in Finder. To do this, follow the simple instructions below:
- In Finder, Control-click on the PNG image you want to convert.
- Hover over Quick Actions in the context menu and choose Convert Image from the right.
- Choose the JPEG format and image size in the pop-up window, and click Convert to JPEG.
- The JPEG file will be saved in the same location as the original PNG. Edit the file name as required, and press Enter to save the file.
Try Using JPEG Directly in the Future
As you can see, converting a PNG file to a JPEG file is nice and simple on a Mac. You can do this directly from Preview or Quick Actions in Finder, eliminating the need to install third-party apps on your Mac.
If you find yourself frequently converting PNG screenshots to JPEG files, it may be more convenient to directly capture images in the PNG format to save yourself the time and hassle of converting them. Apple lets you change the default file format for screenshots on your Mac.