1. Run Discord With Admin Rights
2. Uninstall BetterDiscord
- Open this Discord Enhancement Project page.
- Click the Download v1.5.3 button.
- Open File Explorer to go to the directory your browser downloads files to.
- Double-click the BetterDiscord-Windows.exe file.
- Then select the I accept license agreement option and click the Next button.
- Select the Uninstall BetterDiscord option, and click Next again.
- Choose a Discord version.
- Click Uninstall to finish.
3. Delete Discord’s Data Folders
This is how you can eradicate Discord’s data folders on Windows:
- Launch Task Manager, which has a Ctrl + Shift + Enter keyboard shortcut.
- Click Processes if that tab doesn’t open with Task Manager.
- Then look for any Discord-related processes.
- Terminate all Discord-related processes by selecting them and clicking their End task options.
- Open Windows Explorer with Win + E.
- Type %appdata% inside Explorer’s address bar and press Return.
- Then select the Discord data folder and click Explorer’s Delete option on the Home tab or command bar.
- Input %LocalAppData% in Explorer’s address bar and press Enter.
- Next, click the Discord folder with the mouse’s right button and select Delete.
4. Reinstall Discord
- Check out our guide for how to open Apps & Features to bring up the uninstaller tool.
- Click the menu button on the right side of the Discord app listed in Apps & Features to select Uninstall.
- Then select Uninstall when prompted for app removal confirmation.
- Delete leftover Discord app data subfolders as outlined for the third resolution.
- Reboot your Windows PC before reinstalling the Discord software.
- Open up the download page for Discord.
- Click Download for Windows to get the Discord setup wizard.
- Next, double-click DiscordSet.exe in whatever file your browser downloaded it in.
- Go through Discord’s installation wizard to reinstall the software.
The exact steps for disabling different third-party software packages vary. However, most of them have context menu options for disabling their shields. So, right-click your security software’s system tray icon to look for it and select an option that turns off its antivirus shield.
Should that possible solution work, whitelisting (excluding) Discord in your antivirus software would be the next thing to do. Again, how you do that varies between software packages. Look for and open a whitelist (app exclusion list) within your antivirus tool’s settings tabs. Then select to exclude Discord from the antivirus protection from there.
Windows also includes a pre-installed antivirus tool, but that’s not so widely reported to conflict with Discord. Nevertheless, you can still disable that app’s real-time antivirus scanning just to check. These are the steps for disabling Windows Security’s real-time scanning:
- To access Windows Security, double-click its shield icon on the system tray.
- Select Virus & threat protection on Windows Security’s Home tab.
- Click Manage Settings to view the options.
- Toggle off the Real-time protection option to disable background antivirus scanning.
6. Check the Quality Windows Audio Video Experience Service is Enabled
Quality Windows Audio Video Experience is a service for improving audio and video streaming performance. That’s an important service to have enabled and running for Discord. So, check that qWave is turned on and running as follows:
- To access the app launcher in Windows, right-click Start (on the taskbar) and select the Run accessory shortcut.
- Input services.msc inside Run’s Open command box.
- Select OK to launch the Services app.
- Then double-click Quality Windows Audio Video Experience inside the Services window.
- If Quality Windows Audio Video Experience is disabled, select the Automatic startup option.
- Press the service’s Start button.
- Select Log On at the top of the service’s properties window.
- Click Browse for the This account radio button.
- Input your user account within the Enter object name box.
- Click OK to close out of the Select user window.
- To save the service’s new settings, select its Apply option.
- Then exit the window by selecting OK.
Start Chatting in Discord Again on Windows